What are cookies?
Cookies are files that can be downloaded onto your computer or device via websites. They are essential for providing numerous services in the information society. Among other functions, they enable a website to store and recover information on the browsing habits of users or their devices and, depending on the information gathered, they can be used to recognise a user and improve the service offered.
Types of Cookies
Cookies can be divided into two types, depending on the organisation that manages the sending from which the cookies are sent and processes the data gathered:
- First-party (or proprietary) cookies: these are sent to the user’s device from a computer or domain managed by the publisher, from which the user-requested service is provided.
- Third-party cookies: these are sent to the user’s device from a computer or domain that is not managed by the site publisher, but by another organisation that processes the data obtained through the cookies. If the cookies are installed from a computer or domain managed by the publisher itself but the information collected is handled by a third-party, then they are not considered as first-party cookies.
There is also a second classification, depending on the length of time the cookies are stored on the customer’s browser:
- Session cookies these are designed to obtain and store data while the user is accessing a website. They are normally used to store information that only needs to be kept in order to provide the service requested by the user on a single occasion (e.g. a list of products purchased).
- Persistent or tracking cookies: in this case, the data are stored on the terminal and can be accessed and processed for a length of time defined by the cookie controller, which can be anything from a few minutes to several years.
Finally, cookies can be classed in one of five categories depending on the purpose for which the data obtained is to be processed:
- Technical cookies: enable the user to browse a website, platform or application and to use the different options or services available on it. This might be, for example, to control data traffic and communication; identify the session; access areas of restricted access; remember items in an order; perform the order purchase process; send an application to register or participate in an event; use security features during browsing and store contents for disseminating video or audio or sharing contents over social media.
- Customisation cookies: allow the user to access the service with certain predefined general features, based on a series of criteria stored on the user’s terminal (e.g. language, browser type, regional configuration, etc.)
- Analytical cookies: enable the controller to monitor and analyse the behaviour of users of the websites to which they are linked. The information collected using this type of cookie is used to measure traffic on the site, application or platform and to profile the users’ browsing habits on these sites, applications and platforms, with a view to introducing improvements based on an analysis of usage data.
- Advertising cookies: enable advertising spaces to be effectively managed.
- Behavioural advertising cookies: store information on users’ behaviour collected through continuous monitoring of their browsing habits to build up a specific profile, which can be used to display appropriately targeted advertisements.
Disabling and removing cookies
You can use your browser options to enable, block or remove the cookies installed on your device. However, if you disable cookies, some of the available services may not function properly. The specific way of disabling cookies varies from browser to browser, but it is normally through the Tools or Options menu. You will also find instructions in the Help menu of your browser. You can choose what cookies you want to operate on this website at any time.
Use your browser options to enable, block or remove the cookies installed on your device:
- Microsoft Internet Explorer or Microsoft Edge:
- Mozilla Firefox: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/block-websites-storing-cookies-site-data-firefox
- Chrome: https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/61416?hl=en
- Safari: http://safari.helpmax.net/en/privacy-and-security/managing-cookies/
- Opera: https://help.opera.com/en/latest/web-preferences/#cookies
You can also manage the way cookies are stored on your browser using tools such as the following
- Ghostery: www.ghostery.com/
- Your online choices: www.youronlinechoices.com/
Cookies used in www.brunnschweiler.com
The cookies used on this site are listed below, with their type and function:
You can choose from a number of actions:
- Accept cookies. Press this option and you will not see this message again during this session when you access a page on the site.
- Close. Press this option to hide the message on this page.